1. Set a timer for whatever block of time you can dedicate to this task. I suggest between 30 minutes and two hours.
2. Set up recycling, trash and a few large bags or boxes for donations. Also set up an area for items that need to be relocated later.
3. Pick one room or small space to de-clutter. DO NOT try to de-clutter multiple rooms at the same time or you will go bananas!
4. Start in one corner and work your way around the room going shelf by shelf, drawer by drawer until each area is complete.
5. Do your best to only keep what you actually use and/or love. Most people only use a very small percentage of their belongings. The rest can be donated or sold. If you are agonizing over something put it aside and keep moving.
6. Once you have edited, schedule time to take care of the relocating, donating and selling. If you are planning to have a garage sale, store your loot in a basement, attic, storage closet or garage so they are out of your primary living space until the day of the sale. Make sure to schedule a donation pick-up for the weekend of the sale so you can complete the job.
7. Reward yourself for a job well done! I suggest ice cream.
photo credit: My Paradissi