It is way too easy to get sucked into shopping madness this time of year. Here are a few tips to keep you on track:
1. Create a realistic budget before you go shopping. Do not spend what you don’t have!
2. Never shop without a list! This includes which people you are shopping for, how much you will spend on each gift, and which stores you will go to. Stick to your list.
3. Consider giving an experience instead of more clutter – a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant, a magazine subscription, a museum membership or a session with a personal trainer, coach or professional organizer!
4. If you do need to hit the shops, try to avoid weekends and peak hours. Also, consider supporting your local boutiques and small businesses as an alternative to the mobbed department stores.
5. Make a choice to define your own holidays in a way that works for you and your family. If you find yourself being sucked into the pressure, remember my favorite Will Rogers quote: “Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people that they don’t like.” Don’t be one of those people!
photo credit: A Cup of Jo