Do you ever feel like you’re being swallowed up by your never ending to-do list and don’t know where to start? Try this simple system to help stay on track:
- Write down your list of action items for the day. (I like to do this the night before).
- Circle the three most important tasks of the day.
- Rank the remaining items in order of priority.
- Tackle your three most important task first thing in the morning and check them off the list. This will feel great!
- Do your best to tackle the remaining tasks in order of priority, one task at a time.
- At the end of the day, set aside time to evaluate the items that still remain. Are there any you can let go of completely? Any you can delegate? Any you can consolidate with similar tasks for another day?
I’ve been utilizing this system both personally and professionally, and I love the feeling of satisfaction that comes with accomplishing my primary goals early in the day. I’m also experimenting with letting go of my perfectionistic tendencies and embracing the concept of “good enough” when it comes to my lower priority tasks. How do you conquer an overwhelming list of to-dos? Please share in the comments below!
photo credit: sf girl by bay