There is much said about having a strong morning routine, but I believe the evening routine is even more important because it sets you up (or doesn’t) for a smooth morning the next day. Every time my family has a frenzied, stressful morning I can blame it on not preparing the night before. Here are the top five things I try to do each night before crawling into bed:
1. Do the dishes and wipe down the table and counter tops. Who wants to wake up to sticky surfaces and dirty dishes? Not I.
2. Make lunches. I absolutely dread making lunches but it’s so much better to wake up knowing they are packed and ready to go.
3. Have my kids select and lay out their clothing for the next day. This has been a game changer for my indecisive first grader, who used to go through five outfits before breakfast. Now it’s one and done!
4. Map out the following day. For me this includes thinking through what we will make for breakfast, making sure I have addresses for all upcoming appointments and meetings, and jotting down any errands I need to run (groceries for dinner etc.)
5. Have a gratitude practice. Every night at dinner everyone at our dining room table shares the three highlights of their day. This simple ritual has become a wonderful family tradition, and helps us connect after a busy day. I also use the Five Minute Journal to jot down my own thoughts right before bed.
What do you do the night before to prepare for a busy day? Please share in the comments below!
photo credit: vivian johnson photography