Just because something is free doesn’t mean you have to take it. In fact, when you do take something into your home it is then yours to store, clean, organize etc. Here is my list of things you should politely decline:
1. Taking swag from conferences and workshops. Do you really need a new binder, computer bag or mug? Methinks not.
2. Accepting large bags of hand-me-downs from friends and relatives. I know. You don’t want to be rude. Just remember, if you take them all, they are yours to deal with.
3. Toiletries from hotels. It is far too tempting to smuggle these home in your suitcase. But then what? There will always be more at the next hotel. I promise.
4. Free printed t-shirts from events. Usually hideous and starchy. Thanks, but no thanks.
5. The buy 2-get-1-free deal. Do you actually need 3? I didn’t think so.
Most people accept these things because they don’t want to offend others or be perceived as rude. I really believe there is a gracious and tactful way of saying no. Also, by declining things that you don’t need or want, you are maintaining space for the things you actually love.
photo credit: bloglovin